SPRECHEN SIE DEUTSCH?


I've successfully completely another German language course! Last week I received my certificate of completion at the B level. The classes begin with level A ,which are classes for beginners and continue through levels B and C which are more advanced classes.

Two years ago when I first arrived in Germany, I enrolled in a language course at the Volkshochschule, or Adult Education Center. It's taken me that long to get a good grasp of the language. I am now able to hold a conversation with native speaking Germans , I am able to go into any shopping establishment and get what I want without just simply pointing to the item. And, I've even visited my doctor alone, which can be scary when a language barrier exist. My husband and I are also speaking more German here at home although, at times I can be lazy and slide back into English. I am mostly thrilled to be able to talk to my mother. For almost a year after I arrived, it was impossible to have a conversation with her because of the language barrier. Now, I can call her up and chat with her whenever I want.

I still have much more of the German language to learn. And, I really have to focus on building my vocabulary. The Germans I find, really enjoy discussing and debating and they use many German expressions or idioms ( Redewendungen) in conversation which leave me totally lost.

I begin the last phase of classes tonight in level C. I can't guarantee that at the end of the 15 week semester I'll be fluent in German, but, I'm well on my way!
Give me another year!


No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Followers