GRANDMA'S HANDS


This beautiful quilt was made by my grandmother and my great grandmother many many years ago on a tiny porch in Rockmart Georgia.

It consist of pieces of fabrics which were salvaged from dresses that my mother and her sister wore as young girls. My mother passed away when I was five and my aunt Mamie passed away several years ago.


This quilt is anywhere from 60-70 years old.
Not only is this quilt a family treasure, it is also a work of art.



Tiny hand stitches connect each square. What care my grandmothers must have taken to arrange each pattern and, to coordinate the colors. It is obvious that this quilt was handcrafted with attention to detail and impeccable workmanship.

My quilt and many others were in the possession of my aunt Frieda, my mothers youngest sister who still lives in Georgia. She inherited them after my aunt Mamie passed away. Although my parents have passed on, my brother Calvin still visits our parents hometown of Rockmart Georgia every year. My aunt Frieda gave the quilts to my brother during his last visit and asked him to give the quilts to my sisters and I.
I have six sisters. She felt that we should have them.

I was fortunate to fly home this past Christmas to spend the holiday with my family. My brother took this opportunity to present the quilts to me and two of my sisters. We took each of the quilts out of a large plastic bag and, we marveled over them one by one. We were amazed at the creativity that went into each design. I then selected the quilt which I would bring home with me to Germany. This quilt would be mine to cherish, a loving memory of my mother and, a family heirloom to pass on to the next generation.

In an earlier post, I mentioned that the only items I that I possess from my mom are a couple of photos and a tiny strip of fabric from one of her dresses. I wrapped this fabric around the bouquet that I carried on my wedding day. I cannot tell you how much it means to me to have another item in my home that carries the spirit of my mother. I cannot tell you how much it means to have something that was handcrafted my grandmothers. Each time I look at my quilt I am reminded of the great amount of love that it stitched within it. And, it is such a comfort to know that I can wrap myself up in all of that love whenever I feel the need to.

Because of this, I will treasure my quilt forever.



Enjoy your day,

2 comments

  1. wow what a lovely quilt. it is just beautiful. i love that they used re-claimed fabric! look how beautiful that turned out, and your right you can tell that great attention to detail was taken on how to arrange all the fabric. what a truly beautiful piece of personal history to have of your mom, and your grandmother. my mom has a yoyo quilt that my great grandmother made, and i hope it gets passed onto me as i love it. i know you'll cherish your quilt for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diva,

    I do love my quilt. I hope that you will someday be able to have your great grandmother's yoyo quilt in your possession. It's a wonderful feeling to have a piece of family history in your home.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers