SEWING THE SEEDS OF SUMMER



Happy Hump Day everyone!  In my last post I promised to post some photos of some of the spring/summer dresses that I've made for myself.  So, I decided to take a break from my current project and snap a few pics for you guys.

But before we get to the photos, let me give you a little bit of background on the dresses.  First of all I love fashion however, I hate shopping.  When I looked in my closet last spring and noticed that I really didn't have any cute dresses for the coming summer, I knew that shopping for dresses was really not an option for me.  I knew that I wanted something simple with a classic retro feel to it.  I'm not really one for those popular trendy styles. I don't like trying on clothes and, to be quite honest, clothing can be expensive.  I'm one of those people who will go into a store, see something I like, mull over the quality and the cost, and think to myself, hey, I can make that!   So, I decided to do exactly that, make myself some dresses.

When it comes to sewing, I am what you would call a beginner. I know my way around a sewing machine but, I still have alot to learn about sewing techniques.  With that in mind, I decided that with my limited sewing skills, I didn't really want to spend alot of money on fabric.  I knew that cotton would be my fabric of choice but, I still didn't want to spend money on expensive fabric that I could potentially ruin.

  One day while visiting my local thrift shop, yes I thrift shop and I love it, I stumbled upon a section of  bed and table linens.  The shelves were filled with bright floral prints and even some retro looking prints.  I couldn't help but think to myself as I browsed over the linens,  "that would make a pretty dress".  Then it hit me, why not make a dress out of them?  It's practical and economical.  And, if I ruin the fabric, it won't be such a big deal.  So, I bought a couple of the linens and, a couple of basic dress patterns from Butterick and Simplicty and began my summer dress making project.

So far, I've made a total of eight dresses for myself.  The photos below are a few of my favorites.









I will be posting more photos of my other  dress making projects soon.   Now, I have to get back to work!

Have a fabulous day!

1 comment

  1. These dresses are totally amazing. I love the fabric choices. I need to sew for myself as well...because I hate clothes shopping and I know what I like but don't see it all in one place. So I guess I'd have to make it too. :-) Your work is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers