"DESIGNER DRESSES"












Growing up, I always wanted to be a fashion designer.  I still have tons of sketches in sketch books back in the US that I had hoped to one day present on the runways of Paris.  I have long since given up the dream of presenting my designs in Paris but, I have not given up on designing.  I enjoy the creative process of it all.  It's a good feeling to bring a dress that I have sketched on paper into reality.  Besides that, I love the fact that I can finally make some of my own clothes.  

These are the remainder of the dresses that I made during my blogging hiatus.  All of the dresses are made out of recycled curtains.  For these dresses, I  decided to try my hand at pattern making. As a beginner with limited sewing skills and knowledge, I think I did a pretty good job.  I also focused on bridal and evening wear.

The first dress is made from shear curtains.  I used a piece of lace that was used to make my bridal gown as an accent over the bodice.  I think the lace adds a much needed contrast between the bodice and the skirt.  I wanted to do something unexpected on the neckline, hence the ruffled collar.  

The lace gown with the pink bows is my favorite.  The process of making it was very time consuming.  I drafted the pattern for the skirt and, I sewed each bow and pearl on by hand.  It took about two weeks to cover the entire dress.  But, it was worth it.  The dress is actually very pretty and, looks very elegant on.

The yellow polka dot gown is an unusual design.  I wanted to try something different, so, I challenged myself with the bubble skirt.  I kept sewing the skirt and the underskirt wrong, which was very frustrating.  When I finally got it right, it turned out not to be so hard after all.  The bodice can use a few adjustments.  As you can probably see, it dips really low in the front.  The dress will only be worn by the mannequin so, there is no need to fix it.


The spaghetti strapped gown is so romantic!  I used a sheer cotton fabric for this one.  I gathered the bodice and added lace doilies and a belt made of satin rosettes around the waistline.

The last two dresses are designed from the same fabric.  It is a heavy polyester fabric which has a bit of texture to it.  I used the same doily treatment as on the previous dress around the waistline.  I also added pleats to the skirt to give it more fullness.  As for the shorter version of the dress,  an A line skirt is simple and practical but, still very elegant.  I used a gold braided vintage trim to accent the waistline.

I don't intend to ever wear the dresses out in public, they are not perfect.  I still have a lot of learning to do to improve my sewing skills.  As a matter of fact, I only made them so that I can dress up my mannequins from time to time.  The clothed mannequins along with the few hats that I have on display give my studio a lovely boutique atmosphere.  This atmosphere really helps to keep the creative juices flowing.

I have more projects in the works so, be sure to look out for more posts featuring "Designer Dresses" designed by Sharon.



Have a fabulous day!

1 comment

  1. You're doing your "Gone with the Wind" thing, and I love it! These designs are fabulous and I love the recycled aspect as well. Who would ever have known? Your studio would be a joy to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers