PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES and Bloglovin






 I returned home last week from a fabulous three week vacation in the states. I am so glad that I had a chance to visit my family.  The last time I made it home for a visit was over two years ago.  And it had been four years since I'd seen my oldest sister Vivian.  For this trip, I was particularly excited because, I would be able to take part again in our traditional family beach vacation.  The tradition started about 20 yrs. ago.  My brothers Barry and Calvin began vacationing in Florida with their families and over the years my sisters and I have been tagging along. Although my trip was a wonderful, I have to admit, I had to prepare my mind for the traveling.  Most people are only traveling with one or, two modes of transportation at the most when they vacation.  But, for this trip, my husband and I had to take three modes of transportation to arrive at our final destination of Panama City Florida.  Here's how our trip mapped out.

Our journey started by taking two trains to get from our home to the airport, We flew into Newark and of course transferred to another flight into Cincinnati where we spent the first week with my family.  I love my family!  We always have a great time when we get together.  There is always lots of laughter, food, music and fun.  I met my beautiful niece Malia for the first time, and I enjoyed a wonderful visit with some of my good friends from high school. I also had the opportunity to do some much needed shopping and catch up on television shows that I really miss watching like, So You Think You Can Dance, House Hunters International, Ellen and The Steve Harvey Show.

My handsome nephew Will
and my beautiful niece Taryn

Sisters

Mia, my good friend from high school


more nieces

Brother Barry

Brother Calvin and baby Malia


Next, it was on to Rockmart Georgia.  A four car caravan of twenty people made the seven hour drive through Kentucky and Tennessee.   The drive was alot of fun.  We used walkie-talkie to keep in contact with one another while driving. The walkie-talkies also provided alot of comic relief during the ride as well.  Let's just say, we laughed alot along the way.

Rockmart is the perfect place to break up the trip. Rockmart is also birthplace of my parents and home to my oldest sister Vivian. Vivian is my stepsister.  She grew up in Rockmart with her mom.  Although my dad moved to Cincinnati and had a family with my mom, we have always stayed in close contact with her and made regular visits over the years.

While in Rockmart we visited the birth homes of my parents.  Ironically, they grew up right across the street from each other.  How romantic!

View of Mom and Dads birth homes 

Dad's Home

Mom's home

My mothers home is not in the best condition.  Ownership passed onto my uncle after the death of my grandparents.  Due to his health issues, he just can't maintain the property.  It hurt my heart to see the deplorable condition of the home. But, I have so many wonderful memories of spending time there as a child, like my grandfather sitting in his favorite lawn chair waiting for us to arrive.  Or, spending countless hours on those steps in front of the house waving to everyone who drove by and yelling HEY!  HEY is the official greeting in Rockmart.  After so many years away, it was good to get back to where it all started.

We have our own street in Rockmart.

Beautiful Rockmart Georgia

 We spent the night in Rockmart (more food, fun, music and laughter) and on Sunday morning, it was destination Florida!  Our four car caravan was now a five car caravan. Vivian and my niece Rolanda joined us with their car and we drove another six hours to Panama City.  We met up with the rest of Vivian's children and grandchildren in Florida. I know you're wondering, how many people were on this trip?  I would say it was at least fifty people, including children.  And, we all stayed in the same hotel!   But, hey what can I say. That's how we roll!


 Viv, Rolanda and me






Panama City is beautiful! The weather was perfect! And, although it was a bit too humid, it was still quite enjoyable.  I loved the white sand and clear waters. The area is really family friendly and has alot of activities.  I think I could vacation there again.

After a fun filled week in Panama City, we headed back to Rockmart where we overnighted again.  On Father's day we continued on to Cincinnati.  My husband and I spent a few more days relaxing and spending time with friends and family.  Soon it was time to for more planes, trains and automobiles back to Germany.

We won't be vacationing in the states next year.  I'm thrilled to say that a few family members will be coming to visit us for a couple of weeks.  I'm already excited and, I can't wait to start planning our trip.  What do you think, Italy or Spain?

Oh, and I almost forget to mention that I've moved my blog feed to Bloglovin.  Please continue to follow along with me over there. You can do so by clinking the link in the right side bar.  Thanks!


Enjoy your day!







2 comments

  1. Sounds like you had an amazing time. You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Libby! We had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers