Tuesday, February 16, 2016

 I have been wanting to make an art doll for quite some time.  I spent the last few weeks on Pinterest looking for inspiration.  My first thought was to make a fabric art doll.  It would have been a good opportunity for me to use some of the fabric that I have here in my studio.  In the end, I settled on a doll which would be supported by a wire base. I've never tried anything like this before but, I had all of the supplies on hand. I decided to just go for it.

I started by forming aluminum foil into a ball for the head of my doll.  It was quite bumpy but, I managed to smooth out the foil as much as possible.  The body of the doll was formed in the same manner.  The only heavy wire that I had available was millinery wire.  I normally use this wire for my hat making projects.

I used good old fashioned, homemade paper mache to cover the wire form of my doll.  I used a mixture of one part flour to two parts water for this.  I applied a couple layers of torn newspaper to form the dress on my figure. I left it dry overnight.

The next morning, I painted my doll structure with a couple layers of gesso. 

Painting the face of the doll was a bit of a challenge.  Because I used aluminum foil to form her face, I had to deal with an uneven surface.  I'll have to rethink the aluminum foil for my next doll.  I may try clay for a smoother look.

Here she is all painted and patiently waiting for her dress.

 And, here she is!  My very first art doll!

I am really pleased with her.  My favorite part is her dress.  

And her message is pretty inspiring as well.

I'm already planning to make another doll very soon.  There are a couple of kinks that I need to work out but, I'm up for the challenge. And besides, It can only get better.   I uploaded a short video to my Vimeo channel featuring my doll in full view.  Stop by and have a look.

Bis Später!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.